Crazysister at the Big Heads

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mississippi Monday and Twine Tuesday !

Greetings again everybody! I was unable to post last night because of our late arrival into Kansas City. We did not arrive in time to get an internet access code. These KOA places sure are nice... but these people hit the hay early. (I guess it's because they are used to Florida time haha. Sorry Mitch)

Monday in Saint Louis -
Well, let's just say that we didn't get a full nights rest in good ole Granite City, Illinois. The trains started rolling by at about 3:30 am (about the same time that my meal from Ravenelli's started kicking in) ... this KOA was the noisiest that we have stayed in so far.
We started our day in typical Caldwell County fashion - a trip to Walmart. After picking up a few 'nonessentials' , we made our way downtown to the Gateway Arch. The Arch was amazing! I mean ... I had seen plenty of pictures etc. , but wow, up close and all personal, I was totally blown away. Note- the Gateway Arch is right on the Mississippi riverfront. I was not impressed with the riverfront. It was dirty and nasty and smelled like poop and dead fish. We held our noses and ran up the steps from the waterfront to the beautiful area that surrounds the Arch. We went through arch security ... which was kind of like National Archives security in Washington DC. Crazysister forgot her watch in the little rubbermaid container... she did get it back though; she says that she ain't got a lot of nice stuff but that watch would qualify as one of the nicer things. Before our trip up to the top, we watched a movie about Lewis and Clark and their expedition that started in Saint Louis. I tell you one thing... to be educational ... that was a darned good movie.(and y'all know that I do not like movies) I came a hair of buying the dvd in the gift shop for $27... then I figured that I might could get it cheaper on line. This movie was shown on an IMAX type screen in one of the theaters under the Arch... a whole freaking city under there I tell you. Honestly, it made me want to read more about those guys... and Sacagawea (not sure about the spelling), and the movie pronounced her name a different way. I guess they should know.... did you know that she gave birth and carried her son all the way across their travels... now that's a woman for you! I highly recommend the movie ... it was National Geographic, and the guy that played Clark was very good -looking according to Katie.
After the movie, we got in line to head up to the top via the South tram. Uncle Bud, Jeanie, Grayson, Nathan, and Crazysister were all crammed into one pod... (purposeful design by yours truly) and Wendy, Katie, and I shared a pod with 2 not very friendly strangers. Be sure to check out the picture of their "bottoms" under our photos. Now, those of you who know Crazysister, know that she is claustrophobic... and these little pods looked like a 4 foot wide by 3 foot high hyperbaric chamber. The ride was a little jerky and slightly uncomfortable for the 4 minutes to the top. Crazysister of course asked when the last time the tram had broken down... not sure if she ever got the exact answer or not. Once we finally got to the top, the first thing that I thought was ... that there was way too many people up here! Isn't there a weight limit? There were people like jumping around... It was about this time that I wished I had one of my 'getting on an airplane' pills. After our decent, we toured the Lewis and Clark Museum for Westward Expansion (also under the Arch... I told you it was big !) and then returned to the camper for some homemade pimento cheese sandwiches.
Next stop... Anheuser Busch Brewery for a tour. Now, if you are a fan of beer, this here would be your -'Willy Wonka Factory' These people know how to build a company and do a tour. Even if you don't drink beer... they make you wish you did before you leave. This compound is all fancy like the Biltmore Estate. We toured the stables for the Clydesdale horses... it was like a church with stained glass windows etc. Then basically saw what they do to produce beer from the start until the finish. The culminating event for one member of the Big Heads Bunch... was the hospitality tasting at the end of the tour. For those with a "born on date" under 21 years of age, free pepsi products were offered. Each older guest was allowed 2 free beverages from the Anheuser Busch collection. Crazysister (not surprisingly) got her 2, my 2, Jeanie's 2, and then entered a contest in which she got 2 more. Let me add that all of this transpired in a total time of about 20-30 minutes. She had a bittle lit of spurred sleech when she left...
We headed out of St. Louis for the KOA in Kansas City about 3:30 pm. This ride seemed to take forever! It got dark... we couldn't find diesel fuel... it started to rain... we were tired... and last but definitely not least ... we couldn't get internet access!!! The good news was that Katie and I switched places in the camper with Jeanie and Grayson ... (suckerssss). I think that I slept for like 5 whole hours !
This morning we were up at 5:00 am (again) ... picked up a quick bite to eat at Denny's and then started the long drive across Kansas. Now, I like Kansas... but I do hereby swear - that they ain't even got a Walmart nor nothin... if you like farms... you'll like Kansas. It's flat and real pretty, and you can drive all the way across the state, and the road will never have a turn. Keep your car aligned properly, and you can drive hands free! Our goal was to get to WaKeeny, which is halfway between Kansas City and Denver. Once we passed Topeka, Crazysister started chanting something about seeing some big ball of twine that was in the movie, Michael (you know... John Travolta's an angel...) She said that she has always dreamed of seeing the worldest larget ball of twine. You know... when I dream... I dream a little bigger than that. Anywho- this ball of twine was going to involve a 70 mile or so venture in a direction we weren't heading. I got to admit... I would have still rested without seeing the ball, but everyone else sure seemed excited. In case you are not familiar with your twine ball history. It is located in Cawker City, Kansas - population appeared to be 30 or 40. We got out ... they oohed and ahhed. We took some group photos and visited the gift shop. Katie and Grayson were able to add some twine to the twine ball. Not surprisingly, Spawn of Crazysister climbed on top of the ball of twine for a photo... which made his Moma very proud.
We headed west on highway 24. About an hour before we made it to the WaKeeny KOA, Katie said she needed to go potty (of course). There was nothing... not a gas station (pumps that you pay with a credit card on the side of the road ... but no store... no attendants... nothing) We made to a town called Nicodemus, and someone in the truck saw a sign that indicated their might be a public facility ... so the truck and camper slowed to turn left, but Crazysister and I were taking photos and such -since you can drive without hands... and "locked her down" just in time to come to a screeching halt. I wasn't so sure that we even needed the bathroom after that one...
Anyway, Nicodemus is a fascinating historical place - we soon found out. It was the first African American settlement in the west. Most of these former slaves came from Tennessee and Kentucky in 1877. Grayson even got to help the park ranger fold the flag at closing time.
We arrived at our "home on the range" around 6:00 pm. We got here in time to wash clothes and fix a camper cooked meal of corn on the cob, barbecue, and baked beans (yes... we ate baked beans... someones gonna pay...)
I kinda hate to leave this KOA... it is my favorite one so far... but, tomorrow - we head into Colorado. I am not sure which one we will stay at - maybe the Cripple Creek KOA -

PS... we almost lost Grayson. He was resting in the back of the camper (no, it is not illegal) and decided to see what was taking so long at the rest stop... but the split second that he hopped out onto the ground, Uncle Bud took off in the truck. Crazysister and I were watching it all happen... We yelled that the camper was leaving him, and he had to run along side it until they noticed he was beside the truck ... funny stuff !

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like quite an adventure so far. I love that your group is flexible enough to take another direction to check out the world's largest ball of twine. Just think what you would have missed if not. Jeanie, I am going to use the photo of the ball of twine as a math warm up for class! Thanks for the inspiration. I might even buy a Crudweiser today. Thinking of you! Have a safe, fun trip!!

Nancy said...

When I went to St. Louis for my one and only visit, we arrived after the arch closed for the day. I can attest, though, that if you sit underneath it, you will notice that it sways gently.

Glad you're having lots of excitement. I love the movie Michael--John Travolta gets all the great dance sequences. I guess that's why he didn't play Lewis or Clark. No dancing with pregnant Sacagawea!

Alexis said...

I would just like to add I talked to Crazy Sister/Mom when you all were leaving the brewery on Monday, and she gave me a story of her adventure there. When I talked to her again Tuesday evening, she started recapping the same adventure at the brewery, and I had to remind her she had already told me about her contest and such!

Thor said...

Everyone thinks that Katie is a slush now! My poor little girl!

Unknown said...

Greetings from Texas...
Glad you are not in Kansas anymore. Colorado is beautiful country. Enjoy the concerts and Keep On Adventuring...
I luv u Katie...Hugs from your Nana.

Nancy said...

Updates! We need updates.

Re: Grayson's nearly being left: Dad had four friends who went to Europe and rented a van to drive around while there. On long stretches, they alternated sleeping and driving. At one stop the "sleeper" woke up while the others were eating or something. He went to the restroom. Meanwhile they got back in the van and took off. He didn't speak the language and this was before cell phones. He sat on the curb for hours waiting for them to miss him and turn around. The people at the cafe brought him coffee for hours.

Mr. Wright said...

I really enjoyed the Arch, and KC in general. I remember I found that the "Scott Joplin" house was there, but I couldn't get any of my teacher friends to be interested enough to go with me. It ended being in quite a bad neighborhood, but I didn't know that until I got closer on foot. I made friends with the ragtime pianist while at the museum. I left at dusk, on foot again, and the piano guy saw me while he was driving home. He pulled over quickly, and told me to get in because I'd be lucky to make it back to the hotel without getting robbed, hassled or hurt. "It gets bad out here at night - but this is my hood. I'll get you where you should be." he said.

Alexis said...

Its Friday!!! Where is the new blog Kimberly Jane?